HowTo: Install Kegbot Server directly on your Android tablet (no root)

You mean when you’re editing local_settings.py using vi? Maybe you need to do a chmod 777 -R?

First I just want to say thank you for posting this.
I set the server up on the nexus 7 and it seems to be working but the sessions gives me an error which I am pretty sure that it is caused by the time zone. Server is about 4 hours fast.
This is my first shot at using a terminal emulator or anything close to it.
I saw a fix on the site somewhere, But I don’t have a command prompt as the server is just jamming along.

How do I get the command prompt back? Can I use a new window? Do I stop the server? If I stop the server will I have to start over from the beginning?
If I can just restart how would I re-start the server?

If you type and there’s no command prompt, then the server is in the foreground. I think when the server is running in the foreground, you can do “CTRL-Z” then use the “bg” command to let it run in the background (instead of freezing it). CTRL-Z is accessed by pressing and releasing the Volume Down button, which changes the cursor to a “V” (indicating the next key you type is ctrl), then pressing Z.

If you stop the server, it won’t reset all the hard work you’ve done. Just make sure you’re in the virtualenv, and activated, and I don’t remember the actual line that starts the server, but your data and installation should be intact.

I don’t know how to stop the server. Maybe CTRL-C?

Also when you start the server again, if you want it to be in the background, append an ampersand “&” to the end. Like if the start commands was “kegbot runserver” you can use “kegbot runserver&” and you will have a command prompt while the server runs in the background.

1 Like

Awesome thanks. Sessions are now working. Now for the stats tab. Do I need to be in production mode for that to work. I did not proceed after getting the server running. I did send the “kegbot run_workers” but that did not seem to help. Everything is working just no stats.
Thanks again.

So I was trying to finish the build but I got stuck when trying to configure nginx. I do not have any of the folders. nginx, sites-available or sites-enabled. I did install nginx and it looked like it took. Then I created the config. file and the folders in /etc. When I run the “cp kegbot-nginx.conf /etc/ngnix/sites-available” I get a file or directory not found error.
I even put the files in different places and changed the path in the above command with the same error. I’m so close. What am I doing wrong or is there somewhere else to put the files.

Sorry I don’t know how to answer either of these. Hopefully someone else will, but the board has been deserted for a while now.

Any idea if it’s possible to move the settings / config from my existing kegberry server installation to a tablet installation?

This pry a stupid question but how do i modify local settings.py to configure email? Im stuck…

You need to use vi. For me it wasn’t installed by default on my A210 so I had to get it. Just run “apt-get install vim” and you should be able to edit it.

1 Like

Thank you. What command do i use

Once installed, navigate to the directory and edit the file by typing “vi localsettings.py”. If you are new to vi, I would recommend reviewing the basic commands before you start as it can get very frustrating if you don’t know/use the correct syntax. There are plenty of resources via your preferred search engine.

1 Like

thanks for pointing me in the right direction… But now I keep getting NameError: Name ‘DEGUG’ is not defined. Any ideas on a solution. I just typed every thing in there staring with the # and did the :wq to save it try to run server and stops me with that message. thanks for the help I am a newb to linux

I got it figured out, I was putting in $ vim local_settings.py. The fix was vi then :e /home/.kegbot/local_settings.py Thank you for the help n4xxr76!! I probably would have given up if it wasn’t for you.

1 Like

Hey guys I’m trying to Finnish the production set up on my nexus 7 tab with gnu root Debian and I can’t get nginx started, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

root@localhost:/# nginx -t
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (13: Permission denied)
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed
(kb) root@localhost:/#

Are you running “kegbot runserver 127.0.0.1:8000”?
I’m not sure why it’s looking at 0.0.0.0:80

So when i start the server i put kegbot runserver 127.0.0.1:8000 then tried to run nginx it fails still. I looked online and all i seem to find is nginx needs root user permision. I dont know, its working right now but i cant access it on my computer via home network either… is the addres 127.0.0.1:8000 ?? Thanks for the help

Other devices on your home network won’t be using 127.0.0.1 to access your tablet because that address universally means “yourself”. They would be accessing using the android tablet’s IP address… Like 192.168.xxx.xxx:8000 probably.

You will probably have to use “kegbot runserver 192.168.xxx.xxx:8000” once you figure out what IP address your router is assigning your tablet (Somewhere in the android settings menu… about?) See https://kegbot.org/docs/server/run-server/#allowing-external-access

1 Like

You use kegbot runserver 0.0.0.0:port. Then it will use the ip address of the tablet for the IP.

1 Like

That did it now to try for external accses. Thabk you

Can you help me set up kegbot on my acer tablet?

I can get to the setup-kegbot.py, after that I have problems with the directory