[Errno 28] No space left on device

Hello Kegbot World…

Got an odd issue while trying to add a photo to a user. “[Errno 28] No space left on device” Can provide the full text of the error if needed. Any way to “clean up” a bit without blowing away my entire? Would love to keep using the system, still like to add photos to users, and would like to keep all the user data. If blowing away some of the older kegs is my only option any assistance would be appreciated there. Thanks in advance.

M.J.

How is your kegbot installed ? Linux / docker / etc ? Is the whole device actually out of space or you think the error message is wrong.

If Linux , try df -h to see how much space is left on the device and send through those results.

I’m not a complete expert here but will try to help if I can.

It is a VM running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. The drive was set up to 20 Gigs, and if VM Ware can be trusted, the drive still has at least 15.2 gigs free. DF -s yeilds the following:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 2.0G 4.0K 2.0G 1% /dev
tmpfs 395M 1.4M 394M 1% /run
/dev/sda1 19G 18G 18M 100% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 2.0G 8.7M 2.0G 1% /run/shm
none 100M 48K 100M 1% /run/user
darth@ubuntu:~$

Many thanks for the assistance myrison.

Mike

I don’t know if you got it figured out or not, but /dev/sda1 is full and that’s the root file system…so your OS will be more or less locked up until there’s room there.

you can look at lsblk and that’ll show you the size of the volume and the size of the partition. it’s possible that you have allocated additional disk space (your 15.2gb) but haven’t expanded the file system and/or partition.

Ubuntu 14 is old. If you haven’t setup logrotate you can probably find plenty of (years worth of) cruft to clean in /var/log

Hello @happyhecatomb thanks for the note, and sorry for my delay. I think I have found the file you are referencing. The OS calls it a block device with a size of 0 bytes. I am 100% not a Linux person so please forgive the ignorance. I am unsure how to create more room for that file. Var/log states I only have 15 Folders, 84 items at 2.2 MB And I do not see an option to delete.

I am also glad to start from scratch with a new install of Ubuntu, or any other OS if that gets the Kegbot back to working again. I am glad to dump all the historical data to get back to happy.

Thanks in advance.

M.J.

Also when I did the df -h as @myrison suggested /dev/sda1 is 19 gigs and running at 99% use so that seems like a smoking gun for sure.

yeah @SuperChicoMJ looks like your disk is full. I was thinking about it briefly, and perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to take a disk image, apply it to a new, larger sd card and then use sudo raspi-config to expand the filesystem. i don’t know what you’re using for your every day driver (Mac, Windows, etc.). The commands used to make the image will change depending on what you’re using. If you’re on Mac you can try balena etcher. I’ve had good experience with that. you can clone the volume to a larger sd card, expand it, and be likely be good to go.

Understood…So I may have a bad setup and should migrate wholesale. I have an Ubuntu Ubuntu 14.04 VM running on VM Ware Workstation 9.0 on a Windows 7 machine. I know. Old school overkill right?

M.J.

Also looks as if kegbot-data is the biggest culprit:

3.0G kegbot-data
darth@ubuntu:~$

ok, so you’re OG kegbot. I haven’t done anything with that. I got mine up and running on the new platform (docker compose on the raspberry pi). I’m not sure what is in that directory on the old setup, but we can probably trim something. if you do ls -la in that directory? what do you get back?

If you’re on vmware workstation you should also be able to expand your volume (assuming the underlying host has some wiggle room). You could probably expand the volume and then the filesystem with resize2fs or parted.

Ubu 14 is also super old and way out of support.

1 Like

That’s a somewhat large kegbot-data/ directory. Maybe not unexpected if you have a lot of photo uploads… can you try the following to get a little bit more of a summary?

du -hs kegbot-data/*/

Sorry again for my delay. Only seem to be able to to tackle this on a non-hangover Sunday.

And thanks for the help @mike . Pretty cool to get to talk with the person who started this whole thing. Love your software and it has been a hit at MANY parties.

Did the du -hs kegbot-data/*/…and got the following:

2.9G kegbot-data/media/
4.8M kegbot-data/static/

A MESS of media. Photos that I though I deleted but that never were killed.

I am trying to dump a mess of them now.

M.J.

1 Like

Hah, no problem! I’m glad it’s been fun for you to use.

Regarding media usage: It should be safe to delete the cache in its entirety. This would at least free up space in the short term. Something like:

rm -rf kegbot-data/media/CACHE