Just discovered Kegbot

Although entirely possible that celblazer knows something I don’t, I believe the flow meter actually connects to the arduino, not the kegberry. I had hooked mine up initially to the kegberry instead of the tablet and had basic functionality working but not everything. Here is how it’s hooked up:

Flow meter -> Kegboard (Arduino) via input pins

Kegboard -> Tablet via USB

Tablet App -> Kegbot-Server via WiFi (optoinal)

A few definitions might help:

1. Kegberry - this is a Raspberry Pi mini-computer that runs Kegbot-Server. As mentioned in the thread, this is optional and you can run with just a tablet. I think using a server/kegberry adds extra features, but I’m not sure exactly what is and isn’t included in a tablet-only build. I had a rPi anyways and wanted to build with that so I never investigated tablet only.

http://kegberry.kegbot.org/install/

1. Kegboard - this is your Arduino. There are plans on the site for building your own kegboard with relays, etc. but this is NOT necessary. Just buy a basic Arduino, plug it into the USB drive of your computer, download the Arduino IDE and write the firmware to it, which only takes a couple minutes.

https://kegbot.org/docs/kegboard/firmware/

1. Flow sensor - This goes in-line in the beer line and plus red-5v black-ground yellow-port 2 on your Arduino. The cheapies work just fine. I’m using one from ebay that was only a couple bucks. A second sensor would go into port 3.

https://kegbot.org/docs/kegboard/wiring/

I have mine running on an Arduino Uno right now, so I know that works. You can buy ‘generic’ arduino boards in many different flavors that I assume would also work fine. I have ordered a generic Leonardo, a Mega, and a Nano and plan to test each of them but they haven’t come yet. I can vouch 100% that this works (although more expensive than the generics.) I can report back once I get my generics that just cost a few dollars, but they are coming from China so who knows how long they’ll take.

Sorry was tired. I was mixing up the Pi and arduino. Fixed post

And yup the flow sensor connects to the arduino.

The table just replaces the Pi as a server. I can’t say I saw any loss doing it that way, just less hardware.

thank you both soo much! I’m going to attempt to make this and create a new thread so newbies like myself can figure out how to do this- Step by Step!! I’ve literally had no experience with anything like this before. I have a few questions before i get started. 1, can this work on any tablet, or just the one mentioned above? I would prefer maybe a 7inch tablet, but i am totally fine getting the one above. Especially because you say it WORKS 2, do i have to purchase a soldering tool? 3, do you either of you have a source or website to order the pieces to screw into the flow sensor (the spouts, quick connect, etc) ? 4, when using the tablet as the server, which features don’t work? 5, a link to a flow sensor that is compatible, or easiest, would be great!!!- thanks again celblazer and tripub!

1. It definitely won’t work on ANY tablet. I am using a Nexus 7 (2012.) I have seen forum rumblings about problems with the Nexus but I haven’t had any problems and didn’t have to do anything with the kernel or rooting. There is a compatibility list here:

https://kegbot.org/get-kegbot/tablet-guide

1. You shouldn’t have to do any soldering for a basic connection if you aren’t comfortable with that. If you only want a basic setup with 1-2 flow meters, I think some basic jumper wires would do. You’d just plug them into the flow meter ends and then the corresponding spot on the Arduino. If you want them a little more secure you could get an Arduino Nano with the breakout board which would give you screw-down terminals for every port. (NOTE: I haven’t tested a Nano yet, but I assume it’d work…)

http://www.amazon.com/Solderless-Flexible-Breadboard-Jumper-Wires/dp/B005TZJ0AM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1453984687&sr=8-4&keywords=jumper+wires

OR:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-NANO-3-0-mini-expansion-board-terminal-adapter-ship-from-Phoenix-AZ-/181802930418?hash=item2a544c90f2:g:ydUAAOSw3ydV2qlT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-USB-Nano-V3-0-ATmega328P-CH340G-5V-16M-Micro-controller-board-Arduino-/221965158674?hash=item33ae278912:g:BkcAAOSwp5JWacIn

1. (and 5) You don’t necessarily need any screw-down terminals for flow sensors. You can get them with 1/4"
    barbs that will go right in-line. Just cut your serving line and insert the barbs in both ends. The software lets you calibrate so really any should work. This is the meter I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7ZWOKC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

1. (EDIT) I am a server user and new here so someone who has fully done both will need to hopefully chime in. I saw somewhere on the Kegbot website that some features aren’t available and will never be, and I believe that a tablet just provides basic volume tracking. I grabbed one of my kids’ Android tablets to test it (A Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4) and installed Kegbot. Here are the things that I noticed were “missing.” Once again, it’s possible these are here but I’m just not familiar enough with a server-free environment.
  • I didn’t see any way to add a picture of your beer when creating one
  • I didn’t see any way to create user/drinker accounts
  • I didn’t see the ability to add a relay/solenoid
  • I didn’t see a web server to log in and view stats/accounts/etc
  • No pour session/history data on the tablet interface

You also are going to need a USB OTG cable, which is a special adapter to plug in a regular USB device to the micro-USB/charge port on the tablet. This depends on what tablet you get. If you get the Nexus 7 like I have you’ll need a Y cable:

If you go with a tablet that has a separate charge port you will just need a regular OTG cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Micro-USB-Adapter-6-Inch/dp/B00GM0OZ4O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453985720&sr=8-3&keywords=OTG+cable

One more thing - if you want to use NFC authentication to log drinker accounts, you’ll need to get some NFC tags. The tablet will need to support this (the nexus 7 does) EDIT: If you don’t have a server I don’t know if you can even use this. I will try to test it if I get a chance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141644081177?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

On number 4. If your set the tablet up as a server it works just like using a Pi. You just running the code on the tablet.

I can do all the below through the web server. Just doubled checked.
I didn’t see any way to add a picture of your beer when creating one - Yup have a different one per keg
I didn’t see any way to create user/drinker accounts - Yup have multiple
I didn’t see the ability to add a relay/solenoid - Confirmed setting is in web interface to add
I didn’t see a web server to log in and view stats/accounts/etc - Yup use it all the time
No pour session/history data on the tablet interface - This does show on the Kegbot app interface.

First pic is server running on tablet, second Kegbot app on tablet, third web interface on laptop

Thanks celblazer, good to know! So then you install server separately on the tablet apart from the kegbot app and just point it at itself. Mcguiles, looks like this is the forum thread for that.

Yup and I put the link in my first post also. It works really well, been using it since that post in July and as a hardware guy I like eliminating failure points so one less.

I just received my first knock-off Arduino from China and I would NOT recommend getting one of those for kegbot. It uses a different USB to serial chipset on it and unless I’m doing something wrong, it is not recognized by the Android Kegbot app by default. My genuine Arduino Uno works great.

Hey, I just installed a similar flow meter, but it introduced a LOT of foam into my pours. It seems to introduce it mostly in the end of a pour (first ounce foamish, 2-4 good, then the rest is foamy). Have any tips on reducing it?

I find that I had really good success keeping beer lines cold by installing a fan inside my keezer to circulate air when the lid was closed. Pours after the lid has been open are noticeably foamier. I just installed a 12v computer fan top middle and put a magnetic contact switch on the lid fed into my 12v from the controller. Also dropping the dispensing psi a little. I have a flow meter and solenoid inline and my pours are a little slow but overall very reasonable with little foam on my beer tap. I haven’t yet installed them on my root beer tap so I’m not sure how well that will work yet as that usually foamed more than beer.

Cool! ill just try a few things and let you know :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey tripub,
Did you ever get the nfc working and did you need a special firmware? What do you need and how would you plug it in the arduino? Besides the tablet… thanks for all youre help!

I didn’t load any special kegboard firmware to my arduino. I am using NFC via the tablet and it works fine (as long as you turn “ON” the on-screen login while you are programming your fobs.)

1 Like

Good to know, thank you. Are you using the nexus 7 and do you have a solenoid installed to block until nfc initiated . Thats where i was lost… where to plug in the soleniod via arduino and what soleniod i would need. Sorry to kee bugging you. I appreciate all youre help. Just orderd everything i need to get going, i think.

Yes - I am using the nexus 7 (2012.) I did have to flash Cyanogenmod as the OS of the tablet in order to get the Y cable to charge the tablet and use the kegbot connected via USB at the same time.It works fine otherwise, you just can’t charge and use it at the same time.

I do have a solenoid in line for both taps that is closed until the NFC keyfob logs in. If memory serves, the solenoids plug into A0 and A1 ports on the Arduino for taps 1 and 2. Depending on the solenoids you bought, they are most likely 12v and you cannot plug them directly to the arduino without a relay. I had a few MOSFET transistors laying around and used those, but you can just buy a small relay as well.

1 Like

Can suggest a solenoid valve or the one you have? After that i think im set for hardware

I just went with the cheap china 1/2" DC solenoids then got some 1/2" threaded fittings from my local hardware store.

1 Like

Thanks for all youre help. Im going to be hooking up the arduino, flow meter and tablet tomorrow. When i get that working good Ill get the soleniod valve.

This might help you get that board going. I recieved a clone and am sol… So I have to buy one now.

I did get the cheap knock off to work on the computer and could upload the firmware to it. The issue is that the drivers aren’t there in the tablet to work with the board. A genuine uno will work and I believe the newer Leonardo boards, even knock offs, do work because those have a different USB serial adapter. I think you just have to update Serial to Serial1 in the code if you use a Leonardo. There is a forum post about that.