Kegberry/Kegbot New Installation

Thanks again for replying John. I actually just ordered another screw terminal rj45 to replace the solder type rj45. Got it yesterday and tried the cat7 between the two screw terminal rj45s and it worked. So, it seems either the one I replaced was broken or I had a bad connection on it somewhere, most likely my shoddy solder job.

I wont have time to get back to setting it up until Friday evening but it should all be good now. I’ll update on it this weekend.

I am looking to get this going for my 4 tap keezer. I am pretty comfortable with the Raspberry Pi portions of this. I have zero experience with Arduino’s other than using one on my 3d printer that I have to flash from time to time. I am looking to get this done with as little parts as possible and as little soldering as possible.

Also Will the Mega run the RFID, 4 flow meters, and a Temperature Sensor?

Can someone please verify if the parts below are everything that I would need to get this assembled? I currently have several Pi’s around the house and can repurpose them.

1 - ELEGOO MEGA 2560 R3 Board
4 - Flow Meters
2 - RJ45 Dual Breakout boards
1 - 5 pack of RJ45 breakout boards for controller box.
4 - 14’ Flat Cat5e Cable
2 - 5 pack Barb Fittings
1 - Temperature Sensor
1- RC522 RFID reader and fobs

I know this is a lot to ask but I am just trying to get hardware in place and in hand before I start asking build questions.

Thanks

I’m using a particle instead of the Arduino. I have everything working on the android, kegberry and particle (particle can see the flow meter). I am not sure how to get the kegberry to see the controller. Do I have to plug the particle / controller into the kegberry or is it configured wirelessly? Any ideas are much appreciated!

1 Like

Hi
Been running Kegberry for while now and working well. Im interested in trying the " Node JS Real-Time Updates Server", but little lost at this step.

" Download the contents of the node-server directory and move to the location
/home/kegbot/kegbot-server.venv
So… where and what should i download to move…

Thanks in advance!

Hi all, I’ve just finished following johnnyruz’s instructions on installing kegbot/keberry on RPi 3b+ (stretch) and the install went smoothly. I’ve ordered all the parts and have decided to first go with a single flow sensor. What would be helpful would be to see a diagram of exactly how to connect everything up in terms of wiring (breadboard, nano, etc). I’m still a noob (first raspberry pi project!). Any photos or diagrams of successful setups would help immensely (most don’t show all the wiring so I’m at a bit of a loss).

Have tested this and it works fine

Thanks again @johnnyruz have just setup a new pi. So many hurdles and I am sure it would be much much worse without your instructions!

Now to restore my database…

I’m having trouble restoring, Does anyone know how to do it after installing kegberry?

I’ve restored before after doing a manual install on Ubuntu with no trouble.

If I try and activate the virtual environment it asks me to login as kegbot user, I don’t know what the credentials are…

pi@raspberrypi:/home/kegbot $ source /home/kegbot/kegbot-server.venv/bin/activate
(kegbot-server.venv) pi@raspberrypi:/home/kegbot $ kegbot restore tat-20190904-151333/
Could not find local_settings.py; has Kegbot been set up?
Tried: /home/pi/.kegbot/ /etc/kegbot/ /usr/local/etc/kegbot

Run setup-kegbot.py or set KEGBOT_SETTINGS_DIR to the settings directory.
(kegbot-server.venv) pi@raspberrypi:/home/kegbot $

The issue I guess is I can’t run in the context of the kegbot user

if I run su - kegbot
I am asked for a password

EDIT: Nevermind, I just rebuilt with the server install scripts rather than kegberry and was able to restore

@moad, great info and glad you’re back up and running.

But is there some issue with the standard database restore if you build a fresh Kegbot Install following one of my walkthroughs? I’ve never actually done the DB restore process before, but any additional insight you could share as to the correct steps to make the restore successful? Thanks!

It is probably more my unfamiliarity with Linux than your guide mate. The main issue was that I would activate the virtual env and run the restore command and it would fail with permissions issue. Trying to run as sudo would ask for kegbot user account credentials which I don’t know.

I’m more familiar with installing manually but your scripts certainly helped to get all the packages and components in place so the setup piece was a breeze.

I should have documented the steps but once all of your packages were in place it was essentially following the standard server install guide.

The nginx and supervisor config i reused which from memory was the tricky part to get running automatically.

Hey @johnnyruz

Just integrated the real-time enhancement, I think there are a couple of typo’s in the readme… ?

/home/kegbot/kegbot-server.venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pykeg/web/kegweb/templates/kegweb/templates/kegweb/

should read:

/home/kegbot/kegbot-server.venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pykeg/web/kegweb/templates/kegweb/

Also " Update line 204 in fullscreen.html" was line 226 using fullscreen.html from 19th April '19

Lastly, in advanced setup…
“/etc/supervisor/cond.d/kegbot.conf” should read "/etc/supervisor/conf.d/kegbot.conf " (conf.d not cond.d) - Just for the copy and paste people.

@johnnyruz you are a beast. Great work on your write ups and all the help you have provided!

2 Likes

Thanks @andymemo you’re right there are some typos there.

I’m actually working on an updated process for getting all the latest changes installed, including an automated install of the Node stuff so I’ll be updating all of the documentation with the new procedure in the coming days.

In the meantime, this post has links to the two new scripts that “should” get both Kegbot and the Node stuff up and running without jumping through the hoops of my initial methods.

What RFID model do you recommend for the Kegbot and did you enclose it

I have not enclosed my RFID reader, but I have attached it behind a facing board on my bar, so I scan my cards/tags against a special spot on my cabinets and it registers fine behind 3/4" plywood.

I’m using a super-cheap RC522 based reader, this is the exact one I’m using: https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-RFID-Kit-Arduino-Raspberry/dp/B01CSTW0IA

Thanks for the info

Thanks, new install scripts works flawlessly… So easy and quick…
Just one thing… After installing node.js server, is there a way of changing live pours to millilitres? The total volume poured is in mL, but live pours (while pouring) is in oz, even with metric selected everywhere.
Thanks in advance

NO!!! Imperial and US Measurements Only!!!

JK :grin: Great suggestion and should be pretty easy to implement, give me a few days!

Oh Thanks Johnnyruz That will be great… Ur Awesome !

Ok so I’ve pushed an update to the Github Repository that has the unit change for the live pours.

It was a little bit more complex than initially expected since I wanted it to adjust to the settings of the server so I had to add some logic there to expose it to the “live” piece.

FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK TO KEGBOT DATA!!

If you’re installing from scratch, the standard installation scripts will apply:

1. Install Kegbot Server bash <(wget -qO- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/johnnyruz/kegbot-server/add_my_pkgs_to_github/install_latest.sh)
  2. Install Node: bash <(wget -qO- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/johnnyruz/kegbot-server/add_my_pkgs_to_github/install_node_latest.sh)

However, if you’ve already got an installation up and running and just want the updates, you should be able to just run:

1. kegberry upgrade
  2. Install Node Again: bash <(wget -qO- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/johnnyruz/kegbot-server/add_my_pkgs_to_github/install_node_latest.sh)

You may want to check the contents of the file /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/kegberry/app.py to make sure that the package locations are pointing to my repository, which they should be if you installed with my scripts initially.

Let me know if you run into any issues!

1 Like

Great stuff… Will give it a bash and report back
Thanks again