Kegberry/Kegbot New Installation

johnnyruz,

I appreciated your help a lot. I’ll install again.

Thanks!!!

I reinstall and now other erros have occurs.

After this:

I have this errors (again):

Warning: World-writable config file ‘/etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf’ is ignored
ERROR 1698 (28000): Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’

ERROR : Command returned error:
ERROR : Command: mysql -u root -e “create database kegbot”
ERROR : Return code: 1

And this:

subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘mysql -u root -e “create database kegbot”’ returned non-zero exit status 1

Did you switch your procedure to start with an installation of Jessie, or are you continuing with a Stretch installation?

If you’re running Stretch, make sure that you you performed the two steps for fixing “skip-grant-tables” as well as the character-set-server and collation-server. It’s critical that you reboot the Pi before continuing with the installation at this point.

If that still doesn’t get you past the error, I can try to run through the install myself again to see if something has been updated.

If you’re starting with Jessie, follow the steps in the very first post in this thread rather than trying to perform the additional fixes in the Stretch installation guide.

I continuous with Stretch and I did the steps you said (fix skip-grant-tables and modify character and collation)

First of all, thank you @johnnyruz. This project is really cool, I want to install my own kegberry/kegbot and I’m only attempting it because of the easy to follow instructions you’ve provided.

I am trying to run 3 taps. So far, after 3 tries I have set up the kegberry server on my raspberry pi 3 and am able to connect it to my nexus 7 tablet w/ the kegbot app. I am now starting to mess with the arduino mega, but am currently waiting for the adafruit flow meters to come in tomorrow, and the ss fittings to be shipped in from China some time in April.

I have some questions on the arduino/flow meter/tablet setup though… I don’t have much experience with wiring things… in an earlier post you had stated that the arduino should be connected to the tablet. I have a USB OTG cable to connect the arduino to the tablet and them both to power, hopefully this will charge my tablet too, havent tested it yet. Anyway you said that arduino needs to be flashed with the kegboard firmware, how do I do this? i have arduino IDE installed on my raspberry pi and i have unzipped the kegboard-master.zip and I was able to open it with sketchbook, im not sure what i am supposed to do after that? esp since the arduino will not be connected to the rasp pi.

another question, i have purchased the same rj45 breakout board as you suggested, you have posted that for the arduino mega Flow Meters 3,4,5,and6 are on pin 21,20,19,and 18, so next to each other. if i install the rj45 breakout board on those pins would that be enough to get my three taps working? and do i have to ‘program’ anything in to read those pins? or is it just plug and play?

final question, how did you set up the ada flow meters ? it looks like you have them wired to the rj45 board somehow with 3 wires each? did you cut the connector and strip the rubber from the wires and just loop them on the board pin holes? as the board has 8 pin holes, and i have 3 taps (9 pin holes would be required for wiring) would i need a 2nd rj45 board for the 3rd tap?

haha as you can see im pretty confused about the actual flow meter setup, and i have 0 experience sodering/wiring circuit board. any help would be appreciated, thanks again for all the effort and instructions you have posted, i feel like im halfway there with the server setup and running.

hey @sharpbeer, welcome to the forum! I’ll try to answer some of your questions as best I can.

USB OTG Cable
I would be interested to know your results with the charging and data. I know a lot of tablets do not support this so the best option was to go with one like the old Acer 210 which had a USB port and a separate charge port. Let me know how it goes with the OTG, you may need a Y-splitter in order to connect the Arduino and a separate power supply to the tablet, but I’m not sure if that will work.

Flashing the Arduino
For flashing the Arduino, you have 2 options. You can use the Arduino IDE on the Raspberry Pi to flash it, or you can install the Arduino IDE on your computer and flash it from there. It is a one-time job so once you’ve written the software to the Arduino, it will startup and run that code each time power is applied. So it doesn’t need to be permanently connected to the Raspberry Pi, it would only need to be connected once in order to flash the kegboard firmware, then you can connect it to your tablet and the Kegbot app should recognize it.

As far as pins, the Arduino Mega supports 4 flow meters and the firmware uses those 4 pins (since they are the special pins that support Interrupts) they should be plug-and-play once you get the firmware installed and it recognizes the board as a Mega.

RJ 45 Board
For all of the sensors that use the RJ45 breakout (2xFlow Meters and 1xTemperature Sensor), I connected the Arduino 5V pin to 1 pin of the board, and an Arduino GND pin to one other pin on the board. I then connected the individual signal lines to 3 other pins on the board, so I’m currently using 5 of the 8 available pins (+5V,GND,Flow0,Flow1,Temp). On the kegerator side, I did do some soldering and connected 3 x 3pin female connectors to the breakout board. Each connector has a wire connected to the +5v port and the GND port on the breakout, so those 2 pins have 3-wires attached. I then connected the remaining wire on the connectors to the specific ports on the breakout board that correspond the right signal. Then I soldered a male connector to each flow meter and the temp sensor (making sure to observe the correct polarity) so that I can easily disconnect the sensors from the breakout board. I’m sure you could do this with crimp-connectors or screw terminals if you’re not comfortable soldering.

Hope this helps and let me know if anything else was un-clear!
John

Thanks for replying so quickly!

For charging the tablet and connecting the Arduino, I purchased this cable, and I just tested it. Played some Youtube videos, got the tablet down to 88%, let it charge for a bit, after ~10min its back at 90%. I had the screen on the whole time with the kegbot app open. Charges, but doesn’t actually show that it is charging, and its a bit slow.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JCZ2FQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reading what you wrote up about flashing the Arduino, and the Kegbot app recognizing the Arduino when connected to the tablet, I believe I have done that correctly.

The RJ 45 Board…
On the kegerator side you said you soldered 3 x 3 pin female connectors but there are only 8 holes on the RJ45 breakout? So each of the 3 female connectors share the same +5v pin and same GND pin, 3 wires to 1 pin for power and another 3 wires to 1 pin for ground? then the remaining 1 wire from each of the 3 pin female connectors goes onto a separate pin of the breakout board?

On the Arduino side, if I solder the RJ45 down here (IMAGE 1) would this be appropriate, ground and power?

Or, would I need to have place the RJ45 on a breadboard like this (IMAGE 2) and solder down the connections, then solder some wires from the RJ45 to the Arduino connecting one to the power and one to the GND (top right part of board)? and the remaining 3 wires to the appropriate numbers for each of the 3 flow meters?

Actually, now that I re-read what you wrote, I believe I would do the latter?

IMAGE 1

IMAGE 2

Yes, all three sensors share the same +5V and GND pins, so the 3 x 3-pin connectors use in total 5 pins on the RJ45 breakout. If you’re doing 3 x flow meters and a temp sensor, you would use 6 total pins.

I would recommend you go with IMAGE2 above. I’m not sure what signals are on those other TX/RX pins, and two of those pins on the RJ45 will have to be +5V and GND and I’m not sure exactly what connecting the Arduino TX3 and RX3 pins for example to +5V or GND does. It’s likely nothing, but I would rather keep it clean and only connect pins to the Arduino that are actually going to be used for IO.

Thanks John, I believe I understand how to connect all of this now.

I’ll get some 3 pin female connectors to connect to the ada flow meters and solder to the RJ45, and some male/female 1 pin jumper cables for the arduino/rj45 side.

I’ll post an update when I get all the parts and put it together, hopefully working!

SB, you are in great hands with JR…he helped me tremendously through trying to get my setup going. I saw you are waiting on your stainless fittings for the flow meters. I couldn’t wait for that long shipment from Asia, so I ordered a larger quantity that were immediately available (25). So I have quite a few left over if you need some to get started. Looks like you are on the right track. Always glad to see someone else jumping in!

1 Like

Yes, I’m definitely interested as long as they are the same this sizes. Trying to figure out how to PM you?

Sounds great! Yeah let us know how it goes and if you run into any other questions or issues!

Hello. I recently rebuilt my kegberry server using these instructions including the web enhancements and really like it. Thank you @johnnyruz for putting this together. I purchased a sunfounder RFID RC522 and have connected it to my arduino uno kegboard. However, I am not sure how to configure the RFID or even read the token/card that came with the reader to obtain the token value. I appreciate any guidance to get this working. Thank you.

@mhmatttu, I used to have an RFID dev board setup as I was testing things out but unfortunately I’ve disconnected everything! Let me get that back together and I may start another thread specifically on wiring and reading RFID with an RC522.

Assuming everything is wired correctly on the Arduino side, you can use the Arduino IDE’s Serial Monitor to validate that tokens are being read. I can’t remember exactly if it worked out of the box or I it was an enhancement I made, but if you scan the RFID card does it show up under “Tokens” in the web interface?

Thank you for the quick reply. I do not see any activity in the web interface under tokens or logs. I wired according to the kegboard_confog.h file. Here is what I get from the Arduino IDE serial monitor. I’m not sure if I’m doing it right but nothing seems to change when I present the token. Thanks.

Hmm, in the serial monitor you should at least see some human-readable text. I think you may want to set the BAUD to 115200. When you scan a token, you should see some activity.

That did help. I am now getting some readable data. I will see what it does with the token when I get back home. Thanks again!

I seem to have the RFID working now (I had to update my kegboard). I have tokens assigned to users and pours are being automatically assigned to users; however, the fullscreen Tap List web interface does not display the Welcome User! message as illustrated in your YouTube video. How do I enable this feature? Thanks.

@mhmatttu, that is an enhancement that I’ve made to the overall kegbot system and admittedly I have faile din making it easy to distribute or install. I really need to work on my packaging!

All of the code is available on my Github page, but there’s no way (yet) that I’ve configured to deploy those updates. And this feature is particularly tricky.

A lot of my “feature” upgrades are simple HTML adjustments to the fullscreen.html page. However, getting this live update of the authenticated user and the live pour volume tracking on the web interface requires setting up an additional application on the server that leverages Web-Sockets to “push” live updates to the web interface.

I’ve done a decent job documenting the additional application installation HERE, and I believe the only other piece that needs updating is to add the code to Fullscreen.HTML to connect to that application and display the data.

I really need to setup a new “build” of the Kegbot application that includes all of my enhancements so it can be easily installed or upgraded onto an existing deployment.

1 Like

@johnnyruz, thank you sir. i successfully setup the node server and get live pour data, and rfid is assigning pours to the correct user. unfortunately i just am not getting the welcome user notification in the fullscreen. i checked the fullscreen.html and it appears correct and the other files do as well. i wonder if i’m using the correct api_key. i am pulling the api key from the web interface under account settings.

Here is the screenshot from the config.js file where i have entered the api key
api2

Does this look right? any other ideas on what if could be missing to get the welcome user message? thank you for your time!