For the past week and a half, I yanked the kegbot-android code from Git and learned how to program in Android. It took a while to get my head around how the layouts worked, the difference between taps/kegs/pours, activities, fragments, etc… The purpose was to build a prettier UI that would really show off the kegbot.
I ended up setting up a local SVN repository to track code changes, because I was unable to figure out how to make a local Git repository/server. I didn’t really want to fork the online repository since the code was hacky (I’m a complete n00b) and it was customized mostly for myself. For example, I broke the tap rotation functionality because I only have 1 tap and 1 keg, and intended to add a second tablet+kegbot if I ever decided to add a second tap+keg. If anyone wants the code, I could still make it available.
Added New UI layout with
- Tap Status and Pour Status merged
- Tap Images moved to background
- Added Progress Bar to visually show remaining beer
- Added portrait layouts
+/- buttons to simulate a “fake pour” (This is because my keg is half empty already, and I need my new kegbot to “catch up” and show how much is really remaining. The buttons on the Android UI only show up when you disable the camera, and are only for debug/initial setup)
- Multiple Taps and Tap Rotation (was intending to always have one tablet per tap)
- Retrieving Tap Images from server (since this was using local Android DB, the images are hardcoded for now)
- System Status is removed (I am usually the only one drinking from the tap, so I didn’t need a history displayed)
- The layouts I produced are tailored for 1280x800 (Iconia A210) and are not suited for much lower resolutions than that.
- Ability to load background images from Android disk
- Setup and hook up to a kegbot server so that the camera images and history are stored somewhere and can be viewed